Resource Recommendations for Agencies and Professionals
Tapestry is celebrating National Adoption Month by offering 25% off all purchases in our online store through the month of November. Simply use the code NOV25OFF to receive 25% off your order. And we want to recommend some resources for agencies and professionals.
If you purchase the DVDs from the conference or from the pre-conference sessions and your agency is a CEU provider, those sessions are eligible for CEUs for LPCs or SWs. These are valuable tools for training your staff.
- Attachment Workshop: Parenting with Your Brain in Mind, DVD, Eligible for CEUs – In this video, Curt Thompson, M.D. offers helpful insights about, and the practical implications and applications of, the following:
- fundamental elements of the mind and its function
- the process of attachment and its essential role in parenting
- the importance of “making sense of your story”
- practical exercises related to the development of emotional and spiritual maturity in your child
- What Story Do You Believe?, DVD, Eligible for CEUs – This was the General Session presentation by Curt Thompson, M.D. at the 2012 Tapestry Conference. Curt invites us to understand our own stories, our past and the story God wants us to live; he candidly shares about his own experiences and journey of healing.
- Attachment: The Heart of Connection (Attachment Workshop), DVD, Eligible for CEUs – This workshop was led by both Dr. Karyn Purvis, Director of the Institute of Child Development and TCU, and Deborah Gray, Child and Family Therapist. It is a must for your library.
- Why Should I Trust You?, DVD, Eligible for CEUs – In this general session from the 2013 Tapestry Conference, Carissa Woodwyk walks through some of the reasons why it’s so challenging for kids whose hearts haven’t been emotionally nurtured to trust – not only people, but God. She shares how the enemy easily distorts the choices made by significant people into messages about themselves, others, and God. And then what happens when God’s truth about his presence and love finds its way into the deep heart, and how that holy exchange allows trust to emerge.
- Sacred Connections, DVD, Eligible for CEUs – When parents are working hard to create emotional connections within families and to establish positive behaviors, they can easily become stretched toooooo thin. They can become negative, brittle, or depressed, and some develop “compassion fatigue.” Deborah Gray works with families facing this difficult reality on a regular basis. In this general session from the 2013 Tapestry Conference, Deborah offers ways to help parents recharge their batteries, prioritize time and energy, and explore the connection between their mood and their child’s attachment, giving parents good reasons and practical tools to take care of themselves.
- Attaching in Adoption, by Deborah Gray, Book – This book is a comprehensive guide for prospective and actual adoptive parents on how to understand and care for their adopted child and promote healthy attachment.
- The Whole Brain Child, co-authored by Dan Seigel, Book – Daniel J. Siegel, M.D. and Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D., offer twelve revolutionary strategies to nurture your child’s developing mind. It is an excellent resource to help parents understand how a child’s brain develops and functions, and how they can help their child learn how to handle and respond to different experiences and challenges. We have a link to a collection of parent discussion guides and blog posts for each chapter of the book: http://empoweredtoconnect.org/the-whole-brain-child/
- Anatomy of the Soul, by Curt Thompson, M.D., Book – This book teaches you how to recognize what is going on with yourself and how to foster growth within yourself. You can in turn apply what you learn about yourself to your children. An adoptive mom wrote some blog posts about what she learned while reading this book: one, two, three.
- The Connected Child, co-authored by Dr. Karyn Purvis, Book and Created to Connect: A Christian’s Guide to The Connected Child, Study Guide –Each summer Tapestry hosts a women’s small group that goes through this study guide along with the book, The Connected Child. And each summer Tapestry has great turn out of adoptive and foster moms that are eager to learn from these books and learn from each other. This is a great resource for small groups.
- Insights and Gifts Video Series – This series consists of short (2 to 5 minute) video sessions divided into 7 insights and 7 gifts plus an online discussion guide. Designed primarily for discussion group purposes.
*The Complete DVD set of the 2012 Tapestry Conference is available for purchase and eligible for CEUs if your agency is a CEU provider. The set includes he general session (What Story Do You Believe? – presented Curt Thompson, M.D.) and all 15 breakout sessions.
*The Complete DVD Set of the 2013 Tapestry Conference is available for pre-order and eligible for CEUs if your agency is a CEU provider. The set includes both general sessions (Why Should I Trust You? – presented by Carissa Woodwyk and Sacred Connections – presented by Deborah Gray), 3 lunch sessions and all 14 breakout sessions
Also Found In: Books etc., Media, News & Events, Tapestry Blog